New and Better Mapo-gu
King Gongmin was the 31st ruler of Goryeo and a shrine for him is currently located in Changjeon-dong, on the foot of Wausan Mountain. His first name is Jeon and his childhood name is Gi. His pen names were Ijae and Ikdang. He was the second son of King Chungsuk and Queen Myeongdeok. He married Princess Noguk, a daughter of Temür Öljeytü Khan, the second emperor of the Yuan dynasty. After rising to the throne, he implemented active anti-Yuan policies to get rid of Mongolian influences in the Goryeo society and promoted the northward advancement policies. Internally, he purged powerful families that weakened the authority of the royalty and carried out the reform of government organization to tighten the national discipline.
Prince Hyoryeong (1396-1486) was the second son of King Taejong of Joseon. His first name was Bo and his courtesy name was Seonsuk. The current area near the lots no. 137 and 207-1 in Mangwon-dong and the site of Mangwonjeong Pavilion were where the prince's summer house was located during the reign of King Sejong. In the place named "Huiujeong," he appreciated the sceneries of the riverside area with his friends from noble families.
Prince Wolsan (1454-1488), the owner of Mangwonjeong Pavilion, was the elder brother of King Sejong of Joseon. His first name, courtesy name and pen name were Jeong, Jami and Pungwoljeong, respectively. He lost his father early and grew up in the palace, gaining the favor of King Sejo, his grandfather. At the age of seven, he was given the title of Prince Wolsan and appointed Hyeonnokdaebu (a high royal family title) in 1468. Huiujeong, located to the south of the Hangang River (457-1 beonji, Hapjeong-dong), was the summer house of Prince Hyoryeong during the reign of King Sejong, but it was presented to Prince Wolsan during the era of King Seongjong and its name was changed to “Mangwonjeong”.
Sin Suk-ju was a politician of the early Joseon era. His family originated from Goryeong and his courtesy name was Beomong. He used the pen names Huihyeondang and Bohanjae and was posthumously awarded the name "Munchung." Sin served a high-ranking position during the reign of King Sejo and had his summer house called "Damdamjeong" in today's Mapo-dong. According to
Yi spent most of his lifetime in Mapo. He was a man with free-spiritedness who practiced non-possession. He is one of the three most famous figures of the Joseon era for their unique way of living. He was also a scholar known as the author of Tojeongbigyeol (Secret Divinatory Art of Tojeong). Yi was the seventh-generation descendant of Mogeun Yi Saek, a great scholar of the late Goryeo era and the son of Yi Chi, who served as a district magistrate. He lost his father at an early age and learned to read with his elder brother Yi Ji-beon. Later, he became the disciple of Hwadam Seo Gyeong-deok and mastered various disciplines such as astronomy, geography, medicine, and the theory of Yin and Yang and Five Elements. He built a shack with soil by the river in Mapo and lived there, communing with nature. The house was called "Tojeong," which was his pen name and later became the name of this area.
Han Baek-gyeom (1552-1615) was a scholar of the mid-Joseon era and his clan originated from Cheongju. His courtesy name is Myeonggil and his pen name is Guam. Sangam-dong was where he, a pioneer of Silhak (Realist School of Confucianism), settled down and lived since 1608. The name "Sangam-dong" came from its old names "Susang-ri" and "Hyuam-dong". "Susang-ri" is known as a variation of "Suichon". Han elaborates on Murichon, or Suichon, in his writing "Murichon Guamgi".
Kwon Pil was a poet of the mid-Joseon era and his clan originated from Andong. His courtesy name is Yeojang and his pen name is Seokju. He was the fifth son of Kwon Byeok and was a free-spirited person who sought for a carefree life. He loved to drink and was very talented at poetry. He refused to hold any public office and lived in the wilderness until his death. Hyeonseok-dong is where he was born and raised.
Park Se-chae is a historical figure closely related to Hyeonseok-dong. He built Sodongru (located at the current 77-beonji area in Hyeonseok-dong and is no longer existing today) in this area and spent his latter years here. The name "Hyeonseok-dong" was derived from his pen name "Hyeonseok". He was one of the greatest scholars of the mid-Joseon era and authored over 30 books. He was born in the time of political upheaval due to severe party strife. He became a jinsa (literary licentiate) at the age of 18 and entered Seonggyungwan (State Confucian Academy) but gave up taking state exams to be a civil official in about two years and decided to devote his life to studying.
His full name is Yi Ha-eung and his courtesy name and pen name are Sibaek and Seokpa, respectively. He was born as the fourth son of Prince Namyeon, the great-great-grandson of King Yeongjo. In 1863, when King Cheoljong passed away, Queen Sinjeong gave Yi Ha-eung's son Myeongbok the title of Prince Ikseong and crowned King Gojong, acting as regent behind the veil. Accordingly, Yi Ha-eung was also presented with the title Daewonkoon Heungseon.
Kim Ja-jeom (1588-1651) was a civil official of the mid-Joseon era. His clan originated from Andong. His courtesy name and pen name are Seongji and Nakseo, respectively. Pulmugol, the old village that was located in the current Seongsan-dong, is where Kim, who was later executed for treason, built a forge (pulmugan) and produced weapons. The hill behind Mui-dong was given the name "Sosik Hill" as Kim learned news from Seoul here after constructing a watchtower while he was planning for his rebel. (Note: Sources from A Comprehensive Survey of Korean Place Names, Volume 1 by the Korean Language Society, 1966, p. 84)